Home  |  The Chapel  |  Cricket  |  Guestbook  |  Map  |  Paper Mill  |  Pumping Station  |  Severn Tunnel   
The Pier at Black Rock

In 1863 the Bristol and South Wales Railway built a new passage pier at Black Rock. It was opened on the 1st January 1864. Trains would travel out to the wooden pier, where the passengers would get off before climbing onto steam ferries. The pier was damaged by fire in 1881, but the pier was unfortunately short lived due to the building of the Severn Tunnel.

The pier was closed 1st December 1886. Sections of the pier can be seen at low tide.

This image shows the location of the pier at Black Rock as it was in 2006.

 prev  2 of 10  next 

cricket info

Reputedly founded in 1860, Sudbrook Cricket Club still thrives today...

map info

Try our map facility for an alternative way to search the Sudbrook database...

guestbook info

Leave a comment or share a thought about Sudbrook here on our guestbook...

BeachBlack RockChapelCricketDocumentsFishing
GenealogyHillfortHousingMapNewsPaper Mill
Pumping StationRailRiver SevernSevern BridgeSevern TunnelShip Building
St MarysTides