Sudbrook.info title
  
     Home  |  The Chapel  |  Cricket  |  Guestbook  |  Map  |  Paper Mill  |  Pumping Station  |  Severn Tunnel   
1873
Article: Sudbrook from the construction of the Severn Tunnel

More than a list of names - Sudbrook

Most of Sudbrook was built as a new village for workers on the Severn Tunnel, on which construction began in 1873. The first cottages were built by contractor T. A. Walker in 1877, and rapid development took place over the next decade, including a school, post office, mission hall and infirmary. Some of the houses - originally known as Concrete Row - are believed to be the first concrete houses built in Britain. Also built was a large pumping station, required to pump water from the tunnel, including three large brick engine houses housing six steam engines, and ventilation towers. The steam engines were replaced by electrical engines in 1962, and the chimney stacks taking smoke from the furnaces were demolished in 1968.
Val C Gregory & Megan Wickham January 2010


 prev  3 of 25  next 

map info

Try our map facility for an alternative way to search the Sudbrook database...


guestbook info

Leave a comment or share a thought about Sudbrook here on our guestbook...


history info

Take a look at the history of Sudbrook through the ages...


BeachBlack RockChapelCricketDocumentsFishing
GenealogyHillfortHousingMapNewsPaper Mill
Pumping StationRailRiver SevernSevern BridgeSevern TunnelShip Building
St MarysTides