Sudbrook.info title
  
     Home  |  The Chapel  |  Cricket  |  Guestbook  |  Map  |  Paper Mill  |  Pumping Station  |  Severn Tunnel   
1901
National Gazetteer 1901

Exerpt from the 1901 National Gazetteer referencing Sudbrook and Portskewett.

Sudbrook, or Southbrook, now united to the parish of Portskewett, was once a distinct parish. The ruins of the small parish church of Holy Trinity stand upon the brink of a small cliff overhanging the Bristol Channel, and in the foss of a large camp. It was originally Norman, but was enlarged and altered in the 14th century. Mr. Blethin Smith, captain of a merchant ship, was buried in the chancel in 1757.

Here is a mission hall, erected by the contractor for the Severn tunnel; it contains a good organ and will seat about 1,000 persons. There is also a reading room. The Sudbrook Orphanage was founded in 1890 by Miss Walker. In this place is a ship building yard. Post Office, MO and TO, TMO, Express Delivery, Parcel Post, SB and Annuity Insurance Office, Sudbrook. William Frederick Bartle, sub-postmaster.
Sudbrook Board School (mixed), for 240 children; Walter.James Brett, master.
National Gazetteer 1901


 prev  2 of 2  next 

cricket info

Reputedly founded in 1860, Sudbrook Cricket Club still thrives today...


map info

Try our map facility for an alternative way to search the Sudbrook database...


guestbook info

Leave a comment or share a thought about Sudbrook here on our guestbook...


BeachBlack RockChapelCricketDocumentsFishing
GenealogyHillfortHousingMapNewsPaper Mill
Pumping StationRailRiver SevernSevern BridgeSevern TunnelShip Building
St MarysTides