Sudbrook.info title
  
     Home  |  The Chapel  |  Cricket  |  Guestbook  |  Map  |  Paper Mill  |  Pumping Station  |  Severn Tunnel   
1887
Ship Building

Once the tunnel was finished Walker started up a ship building business at Sudbrook and utilized the staff from the building of the tunnel and the workshops. He built mainly small screw steamers of 300 to 400 gross tonnages.

The shipyard started by T.A Walker was carried on after his death in 1891 by his executors and then by C.H Walker and company Ltd. 104 vessels were built and launched into the Severn, the first in 1889 of 344 gross tons and the last in 1922 named the Frencham of a huge 739 gross tons the largest ever built there. The yard closed in 1922.

  
 prev  1 of 2  next 

history info

Take a look at the history of Sudbrook through the ages...


severn tunnel info

Severn Tunnel was completed in 1886 is the longest rail tunnel in Britain...


pumping station info

Built to pump water from the Severn Tunnel after a 'great spring' was discovered, it's been in action since 1886...


BeachBlack RockChapelCricketDocumentsFishing
GenealogyHillfortHousingMapNewsPaper Mill
Pumping StationRailRiver SevernSevern BridgeSevern TunnelShip Building
St MarysTides