Sudbrook.info title
  
     Home  |  The Chapel  |  Cricket  |  Guestbook  |  Map  |  Paper Mill  |  Pumping Station  |  Severn Tunnel   
1966
First Severn Bridge Opens

This picture is taken from a post card dated approx 1969. On the card it states the bridge was opened by the Queen on 8th September 1966 and cost 8 million pounds. The main span of the bridge is 3,240ft and at that time was the seventh longest bridge in the world. The towers are 443ft above the water level. The whole structure used 18,500tons of steel and 126 cu.yds of concrete.

  
 prev  2 of 9  next 

fishing info

Fishing is a popular past-time. Traditional lave net fishing has been going on at Black rock for years...


paper mill info

The paper mill was opened in 1958 by the Wiggins Teape Group. The site was picked because of the nearby water...


cricket info

Reputedly founded in 1860, Sudbrook Cricket Club still thrives today...


BeachBlack RockChapelCricketDocumentsFishing
GenealogyHillfortHousingMapNewsPaper Mill
Pumping StationRailRiver SevernSevern BridgeSevern TunnelShip Building
St MarysTides